Investing in real estate is one of the most popular ways to obtain a Golden Visa in Portugal. A Golden Visa allows non-EU citizens to obtain residency in Portugal and travel within the Schengen zone. To obtain a Golden Visa through real estate investment, you must invest a minimum of 280,000 euros in Portuguese property. In this article, we will discuss what types of real estate investments are available in Portugal and what factors to consider when choosing which investment to pursue.
Types of Real Estate Investments
There are several types of real estate investments available in Portugal that qualify for a Golden Visa. These include:
- Residential Properties: These are the most popular type of real estate investment for Golden Visas. You can purchase one or more properties with a minimum investment of 280,000 euros. These properties can be rented out for income, used as vacation homes, or resold at a profit.
- Commercial Properties: This includes office buildings, retail spaces, and industrial properties. You can purchase one or more commercial properties with a minimum investment of 280,000 euros. These properties can be rented out for income or resold at a profit.
- Urban Regeneration Projects: These are large-scale projects that involve the renovation of historic or run-down buildings. These projects often require significant investments, but they can provide higher returns.
- Hotel Investments: Shares of freehold apartments in touristic projects with guaranteed buyback exit for investors.
Factors to Consider
When choosing which type of real estate investment to pursue, there are several factors to consider:
- Location: Portugal has several regions that are popular with investors, including Lisbon, Porto, and the Algarve. Each region has its own unique characteristics and investment opportunities. It is important to research each location thoroughly before making a decision.
- Rental Yield: If you plan to rent out your property, it is important to consider the rental yield. This is the amount of income you can expect to receive from renting out your property. It is important to research the rental market in the area you are considering to ensure that you can achieve a good rental yield.
- Capital Appreciation: If you plan to resell your property at a profit, it is important to consider the potential for capital appreciation. This is the increase in the value of your property over time. It is important to research the local property market and economic conditions to determine if there is potential for capital appreciation.
- Developer Reputation: If you are investing in a new development or urban regeneration project, it is important to research the developer's reputation. You should ensure that the developer has a track record of completing projects on time and to a high standard.
- Legal and Tax Considerations: It is important to work with a lawyer and tax advisor who can guide you through the legal and tax requirements of investing in Portugal. This includes ensuring that you comply with local laws and regulations and understanding the tax implications of your investment.
Investing in real estate is a popular way to obtain a Golden Visa in Portugal. There are several types of real estate investments available, including residential properties, commercial properties, and urban regeneration projects. When choosing which investment to pursue, it is important to consider factors such as location, rental yield, capital appreciation, developer reputation, and legal and tax considerations. Working with a professional team of advisors, like DRP Advisers, can help ensure that you make a sound investment that meets your goals and objectives.
DRP Advisers is a consultancy with offices in Lisbon and Madeira dedicated to helping investors immigrate to Portugal via the Portugal Golden Visa and eventually attain EU Citizenship for themselves and their families. DRP Advisers was founded in 2015 and has a proven track record of making the immigration process to Portugal effortless. DRP Advises brings to the table a wealth of connections in the Political sphere as well as Legal expertise and several highly reputable real estate partners.
Book you Real Estate Tour in Portugal with DRP Advisers
+351 912 585 085